Friends... To Be Or Not To Be

Thursday, May 15, 2014
I have not had the greatest luck with friends. Lets face it there really is no such thing as luck. We create our everyday reality one choice at a time. Sometimes its not the choice we make that ends a friendship but the choice or choices our friend makes.
I had a friend who was alone and lonely. I did not realize this when we first met. I knew she was having problems but never thought about how her situation could affect her decision making. She was fighting for custody of her child after a divorce. She was a working mother and I was a stay at home mom so I guess I thought of myself as the lonely one. Little did I know.
As we got to know each other better and she met my family it became clear she wanted to be welcomed into the family. She began asking questions about my husband and soon that was all she showed interest in talking about. Warning bells began going off inside my mind as I raced to make sense of our friendship. Were we ever really friends or was she on the make for my husband all along?
I ended our friendship. Strangely enough it was a blessing to have had this experience. I learned that people aren't always who they appear to be. I also learned that I needed to clean up my act and work on my marriage. Today my family and I are happier now than we have ever been. In a way I guess I should thank her.

No comments:

Post a Comment